One of the key points which landlords review when interviewing for a rental is tenant screen. what does it mean for one who has committed a felony? Are there any Felon Friendly Apartments? While the screening is a stress-free and regular procedure when you don’t have a criminal record at all, it is possible to be discriminated upon due to past records. It is important to understand the difference between a documented conviction and a police record. To see the options you have when you have a criminal record when it comes to renting an apartment, then you can as well do with the guide to renting with a felony record. Is it possible to be denied a rental house due to a felony? Yes. In modern times, there are discrimination which is based on ethnicity, race, gender, family status, religion, disability is not tolerated and therefore, considered illegal. These means that being denied a house due to the fact that you have a criminal record is not discrimination and that is entirely left to the landlord to decide. The reason why a landlord or a property management company might deny you tenancy might be due to a desire to minimize the risks. As a homeowner, you will tend to have a better understanding of the type of tenant you want in your apartment. Things which will not be tolerated include:
- Late rent payments
- Agreement violation
- Problems with the neighbors
- Tenants who are noisy and at the same time socially irresponsible.
- Rental unit having illegal activity.
- Look for property management companies vs individual landlords: Instead of going to search for rentals in buildings which are managed and operated by companies for property management, you can as well try to search for apartments which are privately owned and managed by individuals.At times management companies tend to do background checks which are thorough when it comes to applicants who want to rent from them. If you happen to get a landlord who is understanding, it will be better dealing with them than the companies.When it comes to talking to an individual person, it might be easier to be able to explain your situation when having a face to face conversation as long as you have proper documentation. The chances for you getting a landlord to rent you might be higher than via the management company. This is only possible if they can see that, you are not the person the record is trying to portray you to be. This does not mean that you hide your past records from the potential landlord. You are just trying to get a better scenario which might allow you to have an opportunity to speak openly and direct as far as your record is concerned. At the end of the day, the landlord will have the last say to whom they will give their apartment.
- Try and be honest: Nowadays due to the presence of social media and the internet, it might be hard to get away with a lie. Just doing a simple google search might bring out information that you are trying to hide. This combined with a background check will make the prospective landlord know exactly who you are. When you lie during your application, it might taint your already bad record even more thereby leading to you being rejected as a tenant.Even if at the end of the day you get the unit for rental without the landlord being able to find out about the record of criminal activities that you have, if they happen to discover it while you are still in the unit, you might just get evicted which might be more stressful.
- Get to learn the rules your state: In some states, a background check will not reveal a criminal record that is over 7 years.. in case you are in such a situation, then there is no need to disclose your conviction. In many cases, it is unfair to be denied a house just because of an old conviction. But there are some states which don’t have a law against it.
- Need to understand what landlords don’t like seeing: Assume you are the landlord. You will want to rent your house to someone who is trustworthy and reliable. One who will be able to pay rent on time without having to cause any problems. That is something you will need to keep in mind when you are looking for an apartment.